Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Corporate Brainstorming

I'm blue! I'm blue! I'm blue!

I recently found out that I am part of the blue team. I have no idea who else is on the blue team, but I don't mind being blue. At any rate, I am flying by the seat of my pants, because I missed class due to illness. If anyone tells me that attending class is not important, I will laugh in their face. HaHaHaHaHaHa. So anyway...I really am not sure what to write about. I guess I will do my best, but it is difficult when you weren't part of the "conversation."

As for what I can discern from the information on the course Blackboard site, the team has decided that this course (Resources and Research in Technical Writing) exists for gaining knowledge and experience about/with research, laying the foundation for thesis work, meeting graduation requirements, learning information about the professional world in regard to resources and research, and gaining information about practical application.

In addition, in relation to the English Department, the course exists for academic research reasons, meeting governmental and accreditation guidelines/requirements, and providing well-trained, knowledgeable and skilled information distributors.

Finally, in relation to the instructor, the course exists for distributing information, fulfilling academic responsibilities, promoting an ideology, pursuing a vested interest, and enjoying the pleasure of teaching such a talented group of students!

The mechanism is made of up the following:

Students

  • Degree (I am assuming this refers to the required classes a student must take)
  • Professional status (???)
  • Professional experience (???)
  • Money
  • Instructor's shared experience
  • Course material
  • Work ethic-effort
  • Interest
  • Professional demand
In looking these over, I am not sure how all of these fit into the "mechanism" as it relates to students. Certainly, the money that students provide and the work ethic they put in as well as their interest and the experience each brings to the classroom seem to apply. But the degree, status, instructor's shared experience, course material, and professional demand all seem external.

English Department Administration

  • Paying students
  • Material means
  • Professional need-something outside of the University
  • Professional demand

Teacher

  • Positive learning environment
  • Interested/participating students
  • Money
  • Classroom
  • Materials
  • Requirements for course
  • Professional demand

Similarly, a few of the items listed under the department and teacher seem to be external to their mechanism as well. I am hoping that this all comes together after class tomorrow.

In reflecting on the relationship between the Telos and mechanism, it seems to me that there is an ongoing process at work. Students seek information, enroll, pay their money, are advised, schedule class, put in the effort (to varying degrees), receive a return on their investment, rinse, and repeat. The machine turns. From a corporate standpoint, it is much like the relationship developed between a business and (hopefully) repeat customers. A series of exchanges takes place, the buyer reflects upon the decision (is there buyer's remorse?) and either comes back for more or breaks off relations.

No comments:

Post a Comment