Search This Blog

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Is Truth in the Eye of the Beholder?

For the first journal assignment, I asked students to look at a series of images to determine whether they were true or false. While reading one of the posts, I was intrigued by one of the responses. Here is what was stated:

"Truth" is in the eye of the beholder as far as perception of images go, so while I may see these pictures as "false," others may be firmly believe that they are "true."

I am still trying to decide whether or not I agree with what was said, and I probably won't know until we talk about it in class so I can find out a little more about what the student meant. Part of the issue may lie in the way I entitled the assignment - "True or False." In hindsight, I am not sure if it was the best choice of words. My aim was to have the students examine the images and based on the clues the image offered, decide if the image was real or if it had been faked. By using "True and False," perhaps I added a different layer of meaning in some unintended way. For instance, what may assumed to be truth may not be assumed to be real. I am quite impressed that this student picked up on the wording and thought of the assignment in a different way.

At this point, I am not going to further analyze the statement. After the class discussion, I'll continue this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment