Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Joys of Albums

Ok. This is decidedly off topic for me, but I rediscovered a joy today that has been lost in our day of iPod Shuffles. Quite simply, it is the pleasure of listening to an entire album from beginning to end. Today, it was Pink Floyd's The Wall. There were so many songs I had forgotten and loved what seems like a long time ago. Ironically, when this album debuted in 1979, my junior year in high school, I hated the music. I really didn't listen to the entire album, or own it for that matter, until some time in college.

Maybe it's just nostalgia at work, but I still believe this album to be a masterpiece. At the time reviews were mixed and there was even some controversy, although I don't remember the details. More media effects scares if I remember correctly. Somehow our generation survived! It does require that you listen to it from beginning to end, and it's not a small undertaking given that it was a double album containing 26 separate songs in total. If you aren't familiar with the background, look it up and read.

Today's listening is the culmination of me beginning to rebuild my record collection. In college I had over 200 vinyl LPs plus cassettes. I still have all of those albums as well as a turntable, and as much as I like vinyl, there's something about being able to listen to The Wall from beginning to end without having to flip record sides. It's one continuous stream of music. I am certainly looking forward to finishing my dissertation and listening to more complete albums. It is a guilty pleasure that I will savor.

No comments:

Post a Comment