Search This Blog

Thursday, July 5, 2007

Journal Entry #2 - A Second Life


Apparently I missed a good class on Thursday, and it feels like I am already behind a bit. Going over the discussion boards is helping as well as the summaries from Potter that were available. I would still like to see chapter 2 however. In particular, I like Heather’s thread on transpeople and SL, and I am eager to see the other postings.

SL has been a little disconcerting. I had used it very briefly last spring, but only one time. Somehow I transported myself to a different location, and I still have no idea how to get back or how to go to other locations in the game. I need some more time and to speak with some of my classmates. This weekend I did spend some time “flying” around my current realm. I certainly discovered some interesting things. For instance, I found what is apparently a gentlemen’s club (see image) called Vixen’s. There were women running around scantily clad. Interesting how sexuality has spilled into this online environment. I wonder though, after reading our chapters, if any LBGT activity goes on. It might be interesting to try an experiment. :)

I still find the interface rather awkward, and as I remember, changing my appearance was no easy task. I would like to play a bit and even try being a female. As of yet, I have not interacted with any of the other players. Just not feeling gabby the first couple of times out. Tonight I’m heading to Perrysburg with a few other students. Will get into SL a little more later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment