Search This Blog

Friday, July 13, 2007

More Second Life

Last night we spent the entire class exploring in SL. I found myself doing a little adventuring and ran across another sex-related establishment. There were all kinds of clothing available related to bondage or at the very least, it was very revealing. Another item was a collar, that when put on, allowed another to control that avatar, making them submissive, etc. The prevalence of the sex industry in this world is unbelievable. Amy ran across a conversation that mentioned roughly touching a penis. Cybersex evidently is still going strong on the Internet.

However, what I found myself continually returning to was the appearance function. I am fascinated by the choices (and lack of choices) that are available. I have changed my appearance to female and had previously looked a little androgynous. I also played with race a bit. After talking with Dr. G., I think I will use this as the focus for my papers in this class as well as the proposal.

One thing I did figure out is that I am not a Judith Butler fan, at least not based on the chapter I had to read and summarize for class. Thankfully, she is not required for my dissertation.

No comments:

Post a Comment